If you are living in or leaving a violent relationship you can talk to Work and Income about how we can help you. 

This could include: 

  • financial help to get back on your feet - including benefit payments, help with accommodation costs, special needs grants and other assistance.
  • help to find somewhere to live - including information on housing options in your area and, if need be, an assessment for social housing.
  • referring you to other support services and agencies able to help you.

We’ll also support you to build a better future for you and your family by helping you prepare or look for suitable work.  We’ll take into account your particular circumstances and what’s appropriate for you.


Work and Income case managers have been trained to identify and respond appropriately to people who are living in or leaving violent family situations.  Talk to us about your situation.  The more we understand what is happening for you, the better we can help you. Our staff want to help you make a better future for yourself and your family.


We also work closely with other government and community agencies so we can refer our clients for the help and support that they need.  It also means those agencies know how we can help people they’re working with.


Work and Income is part of the Ministry of Social Development which also leads the ‘It’s not OK’ campaign against family violence, conducts assessments for people wanting social housing, funds many community agencies and includes Child, Youth and Family and StudyLink.  We are committed to helping New Zealanders to help themselves to be safe, strong and independent.


For more information:




Call 0800 559 009